Saturday, November 19, 2011

From Vegan to Paleo: Week One

So I've been at it for seven days now. Beyond the joy I've had in making new things (it's a whole new ballgame now, searching for things to do with meat products instead of the bean-and-grain centered world that I'm used to) I have been experiencing an incredible, wonderful shift in my mood. I feel MUCH more stable now. This is by far the best side-effect of eating this way. Also, I have more power in my body. My husband and I are installing wood floors in our house, and I just have way more energy, stamina and strength now, which we both noticed during this process. My husband commented on my body as well, noticing that it's getting nice and firm. He has lost 5 or 6 pounds, and he is surprised by this, because he is not hungry all of the time, like he was when we were eating vegetarian. Food is more satisfying, and by this I don't mean the taste(although it does taste magnificent!), I mean I get full faster. And that fullness lasts longer. Also, I haven't been having weird, random pains or muscle spasms that used to happen quite frequently.

I do smell different, and noticed that right away. :) My bowel movements are still very regular, which I was worried that all this meat might "clog me up", but that hasn't been the case. Funny thing, I am eating more vegetables now that I did when I was vegetarian. Veggies are required with each meal, whereas eating vegan, you could just fill up on grains and legumes and just skip the veggies. I could have a peanut butter bagel for breakfast with beans and rice for lunch and lentil soup for dinner...not much veggies there. Now I have salads topped with grilled chicken or fish, spaghetti squash with tomato basil chicken sausage and spaghetti sauce, eggs and bacon with sautéed greens or a side of asparagus and some fresh fruit...

I still worry about my cholesterol and stuff like that. But if I just go off of how I'm feeling, I am happy to keep at this for three more weeks. We'll see what the numbers say at the end of it all... I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. If it's a successful 30 days and your cholesterol hasn't gotten worse, would you consider paleo for life? Or are you going to continue vegetarian regardless of the results (perhaps for ethical reasons or others).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am truly beginning to think there is no right way to eat "for life". Our bodies are constantly changing, and maybe needing different things. But I will most likely continue to continue on this path for some time, until my body tells me otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! we are in GAPS and have been for about four months. Gapsdiet.com. Pale-ish but more focused on gut dysbiosis. I think it's impressive to see you radically shift your paradigm in such a public way. That's bravery!!!

    ReplyDelete