Monday, October 11, 2010

Chillin' Chicken Casserole

We are enjoying a spectacular Indian Summer in Minnesota, with temperatures 20 degrees above normal. Usually fall ushers in soups and stews in our house, but it's just too warm outside for that right now.

This meal is a favorite of mine because it takes hardly any time at all to make, is delicious, packed with whole foods, and it has nice, simple flavors that can be admired by all. Best of all, it is super tasty cold. A couple of notes here: to save time, you can purchase a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store. You can use the entire chicken in this recipe if you like, but I just use the breast and save the rest for other stuff. Also, you can find pre-cooked, frozen brown rice in the freezer aisle. Then you don't have to wait an hour for the rice to cook. Or you can precook your own rice and store it in the freezer.


Ingredients:
1 cooked chicken breast
1 1/2 cups of dry rice
2/3 package of frozen peas and carrots
20 baby pickles
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
salt and pepper

Directions:

Cook rice. Put in a large bowl. Chop chicken in small cubes. Chop pickles. Put rice, chicken, pickles, garlic powder, peas and carrots, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle a little pickle juice on top. Mix it all up. Eat right away, or put in the refrigerator to cool. Enjoy!

P.S. You don't have to cook the peas and carrots first, since this is a cold salad. Simply mixing it with the warm rice heats it up enough to make it not frozen.

3 comments:

  1. Sheila A. FitzgeraldOctober 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM

    I'm a little confused about the pickle. Do you mean 20 whole pickles (sounds like a lot), or 20 slices or wedges. Or 20 of the little gerkins? Dill or sweet?
    I love to cook extra rice when I'm making it. I can always find something good to make from the leftovers. Tonight I'm trying homemade fried rice. I have some little shrimp, Cubes of ham ans shredded chicken to put in it. I think I can make a healthier version than the Chinese Restaraunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean 20 little baby pickles. Yes, that would be a lot of pickles otherwise. I used dill, because that's what I like, but you could use either.

    How did your stir fry turn out? Sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of pre-cooking brown rice and storing in the freezer! I always make a bunch of rice at a time but don't always use it fast enough, so the freezer is a brilliant idea (and way better than texture-less instant brown rice).
    Thanks lady!

    ReplyDelete